Friday, March 19, 2010

Web Search Engines

      My experience with web search engines was somewhat limited until now. I usually, use google for everything and never really thought of using anything else. I thought using the different search engines was fairly easy. Being able to access the web can only enhance education within the classroom. Of course, proceed with caution and good planning must be exercised before accessing the web. There are filters for the web that can help in eliminating inappropriate sites. I think knowing there are other web search engines is important to the type of searches you are trying to do. In addition, to knowing how to critically evaluate websites. Part of website evaluation is to know the different websites URL’s and how they help to identify where the information is coming from. I try to remember to do, in identifying the typeof website I am accessing.
       I think it is important to know how to find good, factual informative sites, while recognizing the bad ones. In a school setting, it's even more important to use kid friendly licensed search engines such as Net trekker, to filter out those inappropriate sites. However, just as important is the use of a web site evaluation tool. One of the sites that I came across in my search on web site evaluation was from the University of California, Berkeley Library, which provided a series of techniques and helps you ask yourself a series of questions that will help you decide whether a webpage is to be trusted or not. This website can also be a great resource in teaching kids in the classroom how to navigate the web. Here is the link, check it out.
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/Evaluate.html

            When searching the web for information on "students use of periodical databases", "students use of the web", and "evaluation of web sites", I used three search engines: Hierarchical, Page indexer and Meta-engine. Strategies I incorporated into my searches were to keep the words simple, using the help feature for the different search engines as suggested, also offered additional advise, and information on searching techniques.

            The results for these searches varied from the topics in the licensed periodicals, because in the licensed periodicals the results were mainly documents and the results from the web, were tools and resources on how to do something. I do not think that I would have done anything differently, as I enjoyed trying the different search engines and using the help feature, which I never thought to do in the past. I did come across a website that I thought would be helpful for teachers on how to search for internet resources effectively. http://www.internet4classrooms.com/search.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment