I have used Wikipedia in the past. I think it’s a great resource for doing hw assignments and research projects. I did not realize that the information could be modified by anyone. However, I always look at various sources for gathering information to make sure that the information I have researched is accurate. What I like about Wikis, is that they provide students with an opportunity to collaborate what they learn, “anything that adds to the learning experience”. “Encouraging students to contribute what they learn and know”. I believe we learn by doing.
Ultimately, wikis in the classroom provide a unique opportunity for collaborative learning, while there may be challenges in developing and hosting, there are significant opportunities for student engagement in the course material and for helping students appreciate a collaborative approach to learning.
Wikis can be used as collaborative tool for teachers or districts to collect and share information.
The “new web or Web 2.0 is a tool for bringing together the small contributions of millions of people and making them matter” “Experiential learning and engagement with the material increases learning”. When teaching core curriculum classes it is often a challenge to overcome apathy and disconnect”.
It has opened the door for exchange of ideas and information and provided us with the opportunity to do it on a global level. Unfortunately, within education is where we need to close the technological gap that exists and as such we need to educate our students on how to utilize it's potential for learning. My definition and the websites and articles I found clearly speak to Web 2.0's potential, especially in the classroom. That of collaborating and exchanging information for educational purposes. They clearly speak to the issues that are associated with why there is stiil a gap in using technology and how we can go about closing it. I think Web 2.0 has revolutionized the way we communicate and share information. As proven through our use of Facebook, twitter, you tube etc... In my ABA class, we used You Tube quite a bit for doing exercises within the classroom, that allowed us the opportunity to use technology as a method for learning. Just as we are doing in this class.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment