Monday, April 5, 2010

Entry # 5 Principles of Design

Spring is finally here! I hope everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather we're having.

I'm going to share what I leaned about the principles of design and how they impact newsletters and flyers. There are four principles and I don't mean to offend anyone, but the acronym the writer uses helps me to remember what they are.

Contrast or what makes a reader look at the page.
Repetition of the visual elements throughout the design.
Alignment or knowing there should be a visual connection with other elements of the page.
Proximity which indicates grouping similar items to make one visual unit that will help in developing a better end result.

I like that the principles interconnect, which makes it easier to remember to use all of them. I also liked William’s idea about not reinventing the wheel, but perfecting something or making it unique to your needs. I thought the book presented the information in an easy to use and an easy to remember format. I liked the examples in the book, especially, the do’s and don’t’s and the exercises at the end of the chapters which helped to pull everything together. I have always enjoyed putting presentations, flyers and exhibiting what I call my my creative side. In the past, I have used Print Shop Deluxe and Microsoft Publisher, which I found kind of, cumbersome to work with.

As far as, the Poynter.org tutorial goes, I enjoyed doing the different exercises, especially realizing how color affects our emotions. Only thing that came to mind was that of how every one’s perception is different and in some cases what may appeal to one person may not appeal to another. As in "Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder"

Paper, Paper, and More Paper!!!

I know teachers feel the need to send home announcements via flyers, but lets face it, How many get read? However, as a parent I have to admit I don't always read all the flyers that come home. I'll tell you why?

There are various reasons for this. Sometime it's not having the time to read them and sometimes it's the quantity of flyers that come home. Although, the design or layouts of some are not exactly screaming, "READ ME"

Let's face it the ones I read, are the ones that spark my interest. Those brightly colored ones with the nice pictures and fonts. There's definately something to be said about creativity, while applying design principles would also help. Those black and white flyers are just boring and talk and sometimes the information is jumbled together, sort of TOO MUCH INFORMATION ON PAPER, who wants to or has the time to read all of it. I do realize that, not everyone designing them, has taken a course an is an expert at it. So, I guess, it is to be expected. Obviously, there should be some thought involved and that may be the issue.

As a teacher, I think if I wanted my flyers read, I would spend more time on the layout, yet this wouldn't hold any guarantees. I would try to make the flyers more engaging and readable. As parents, I think it's important to read the flyers to know what's going on. However, having something engaging or nicely layed out would make it easier, however, we should be reading everything that is sent home, regardless of how boring the layout. I know what you're thinking easier said than done. I know.

Personally, I think the flyer system, in my district, lost it's value along the way due to technology. For example, I think many parents may not read the flyers, because they don't believe the information is important enough. Any information that is important, is done through our connect ed system over the phone, even the PTO meeting reminders. Flyers may have been a more effective means in the past. Unfortunately, these days this disparity in how information is communicated, may have something to do with flyers not being read.
I think through the use of technology, there may be more effective ways of communicating information, but if you have to create flyers or newsletter, try to incorporate a system, where hopefully the readers will appreciate in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment