Monday, April 5, 2010

Entry # 4 Web Design

How Exciting! This week I got to create my own web sites. It's still a work in progress and I hope to over time improve how it looks and make it more appealing. I did learn a lot this week about Web Design and how websites can be used in the classroom. Let me share some of my thoughts about websites in the classroom

                   Websites used in a classroom are becoming more popular these days. I don’t currently maintain a site for a classroom, but I could envision myself using one in the future. I think websites are important in a classroom, because they can be a great resource and beneficial, to teachers, students as well as, parents. Classroom websites are a great resource, but more importantly, maintaining the information on it, current and relevant to its users is just as important.  Maintaining a site with current and up to date information is essential for students and users to keep motivated and coming back to visit the site. In addition, to asking students, their opinion and having them offer feedback on information listed can help improve a site, while maintaining their interest, as well. Teachers can use websites in their classroom to enhance curriculum, through the use, of links, instruction for a unit, enhancement and support can be extended outside the classroom. When students are absent, they can have access to assignments, while also allowing students with special needs to feel included. Websites can also be a great way for parents to be connected and involved to other resources, such as parent organizations and general parenting information. Teachers sections can include links to teacher organizations, lesson plans, and management tools. Additional, sections, can provide resources for holidays, safe searches, computers in the classroom kids’ sites. I agree with the information I found that stated that "websites in the classroom, should be used, as a tool for enhancing education, not as a substitute for instruction"...

Here are some nice links on the subject:

Educationworld Teacher Created Websites Link Home and School
http://www.educationworld.com/a_tech/tech008.shtml
Using the Web to Enhance and Transform Education by Michael Hulme & Michael Locasto The ACM Student Magazine
www.acm.org/crossroads/xrds10-1/webedu.html

1 comment:

  1. I think website in the classroom are really helpful. My daughter's teacher has one and most of the teachers in her school. Of course, the teacher communicates with both the student and the parent through the website. I find it helpful to track assignments and activities. Usually I lose the flyers!

    ReplyDelete